The cold weather has officially HIT, which has sent a signal to my brain that I must eat carbs. Any carbs. All of the carbs. All. Of. The. Time. In fact, I had my head buried deep in my pantry, desperately looking for something to satisfy my cravings, when I realised that there must be a better way. And much as I love a hot cup of tea and a rusk (okay, three rusks), I simply can’t afford it to derail my commitment to our #BeatWinter 40-Day Challenge!
It was then that I turned to Aunty Google for some help and, as usual, she came up trumps! Turns out that S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is pretty common – the shorter days and resulting fewer hours of daylight make us feel … sad. So we turn to comfort food to make us feel better, and promptly feel worse when we see our empty plates and bloated tummies!
Thankfully – help is at hand with FIVE ways you can feel less S.A.D. this winter!
- Grab that patch of sunlight when you can – just because it’s winter, doesn’t mean there isn’t sun! Make like a cat and follow that patch of sunlight when you can. Whether eating lunch, sipping on a cappuccino, playing with the kids or simply sitting for a few minutes with the sun on your face, you will be amazed at the difference it makes.
- Sweat it out – yes, doctors agree that the best medicine is not laughter, but grabbing your gym bag instead of that muffin! The resulting endorphins after a run or Boot Camp session will keep you going for ages and you will feel less tempted to mindlessly comfort eat to make yourself feel better.
- Grab that soup – we all know that our bodies are going to crave warm and filling food, so plan ahead! Woolworths has a delicious range of easy-to-make soups (and a few ready made ones too!) Stock your kitchen with delicious foods that you’ll love and get rid of anything that will make you feel worse after you eat it!
- Stay social – it becomes so easy to hibernate and veg out on the couch, but your soul needs connections with other people! Plan get-togethers, try new places, go hiking – or even meet a friend for coffee in a little patch of sunlight!
- Turn on the tunes – make a playlist of “pick me up songs” for days when you are feeling BLERGH. We all have those songs that cheer us up instantly – have them at the ready this winter!
At the end of the day, winter is the most divine season – let’s no waste it feeling miserable, comfort eating and emerging in September with a few extra rolls. Stay committed to your goals, set yourself up for success, and take ownership of your emotions. Life is short – make each day count for something!